Monday, May 22, 2006

Back to the roots

With my aunt here visiting from Germany (she's staying with Mama), Mama is trying to cater a bit to her (food) tastes and also make it a little easy on her. While I was toodling about with Auntie, taking her here and there Mama called on the mobile - what about Sauerkraut, Kartoffeln und Wurst for lunch...all of us together?

Hey! I love Mama's Sauerkraut - it is the best - and sausages I hadn't had in ages. Potatoes of course can't go missing with this dinner either. So there it was waiting for us at the back terrace, a nice old fashioned dinner, one I hadn't had in ages. Auntie and Mama had the obligatory beer with this dinner and my husband and I our wine (I can't stand beer).

One of these days I am going to have to get Mama to tell me her recipe rather than me being on the recieving end of a small pot of it and I will post it for the site or here for all posterity.

I felt so good after this meal. Was it just being all together, Mama's great sauerkraut, the treat of real German sausages, the wind in the pines, the lively chatter? Or was it that flashback connection to childhood?

Whatever it was today, it was a little bit of nostalgia. Edible memories.

1 comment:

Katherine Huether said...

That meal sounds divine! Reminds me of Germany, which we both know I miss every day. And, I don't like beer either. :)