Monday, May 15, 2006

Garlic Soup - Keeping the Vampires Away

My tastebuds have been pestering me for days to "pleasepleaseplease can we have garlic soup again". Now that I know will put a big smile on Reggie's face.

Sopa de Ajo, as it is called here in Spain is made all over the Iberian Peninsula with very little regional variations. Except in fancy restaurants. Or at Villa Contessa - my place under the Spanish sun. All you need is a broth, preferably chicken, paprika, (at least) day old bread, olive oil and lots of garlic and any peasant was happy. The magic of this simple soup is in the hands of the cook. It can be as boring as dishwater like we have experienced in a few restaurants or simply exciting. Reggie thinks my garlic soup is exciting and ah...well, not to feign modesty, my Toasted Garlic Soup Provençal is really REALLY tasty.

My little bit of magic is that I'm not particularly loyal to neither the Spanish nor French Provencel classics. A little inspiration from both, yes. And a good splash of red wine and let's not forget the thyme. The secret to that super quick, super nourishing soup, believe it or not is the ONE spice clove and the red wine. Sherry will do it fine too. Yes, besides the 8 (big) garlic cloves, ONE spice clove. Eyebrows down, now. :>D If you have 'problems' with garlic, most likely you won't with this soup. The secret is toasting them first with the almonds.

Oh and it was just what we needed today...that, a loaf of bread, red wine, sigh. Smiles all around, even my dog, Tosca asks for more!

Almost forgot, second course was a quick vegetable dish of a few leaves of savoy cabbage, French green beans, leek dish, a few potatoes (with a few other little secrets) followed by very thin lamb medallions tossed in olive oil, thyme and grated pepper. The potatoes I lifted out of the vegetables and kept them warm for serving with the lamb. Took less than 3 minutes to sear them in a hot pan to which I added a few spoons of my homemade tomato sauce.

I, like the Spanish, Italians and a few other cultures like eating in courses - one focuses and appreciates the flavour of each dish. An epicurean thing, I suppose. Besides, then I am sure Reggie will eat more than a forkfull of vegetables.

My tastebuds always remind me when I've neglected something special. Or maybe my tastebuds listen to my body's needs?

No matter. I always listen to them both. Besides, the soup works. No vampires around here!

(Try my soup soon - and comment back here and let me know!)

No comments: